Saturday, October 25, 2008

An Old Maxim


I was reading a book ( The valley of secrets by Charmian Hussey) and read "an old maxim" that I like! Okay, let me show my ignorance here. I first wondered what is "an old maxim"?

www.yourdictionary.com

maxim (mak′sim)
noun
a concisely expressed principle or rule of conduct, or a statement of a general truth

Adjective modifier
old: Actions louder than words The old maxim about actions speaking louder than words also applies here.

Okay, that much makes sense......now the old maxim said

"A trouble shared is a trouble halved."

Who was the first to use this maxim? I searched Answers.com to find this information and a lady named Dorothy Sayers was the name listed.

This maxim was included in the book she wrote in 1931 called "The Five Red Herrings" (sorry I am not good at referencing this information correctly with underlining and italics with this posting in blogger and I don't do my post off line so please forgive the errors and look for the meat of the post). Back to the point Dorothy L. Sayers (1893-1957) was known as a renowned British author, translator and Christian humanist. She was also a student of classical and modern languages. She is best known for her mysteries, a series of novels and short stories set between World War I and World War II that feature English aristocrat and amateur sleuth Lord Peter Wimsey. However, Sayers herself considered her translation of Dante's Divina Commedia to be her best work. She is also known for her plays and essays. ( Wikipedia.com )

I was really interested in this "maxim" because it rings true. If we share a burden with someone else it always feels less heavy to carry! We need friends to help us through this life! One of the hardest things about moving from WV to NC was leaving the people who prayed with me and helped to "half my troubles". I still find myself calling on them in spite of the distance. My friends there were godly people who prayed with me (notice I didn't say for me). I think the important thing about sharing our trouble is that we share them with someone who will take us back to the truth of the Bible! To provide "godly counsel" based on that truth and lastly to pray (petition) the Heavenly Father!

We have been in NC for over 8 years and I still haven't found those people. No fault of the people here.... my life is just so different than in WV. I am a mom who works full time. I have been the stay at home mom and the working mom, so I don't want to take sides, they both have difficulties! There are definite battle lines drawn between these two groups. Judgement heaped by the bucketfuls! I don't want to judge either group because I have been in both. Here is my opinion.... Stay at home moms get no respect. They are expect to do everything for their families, neighborhoods and church. They all say "that mom wouldn't have to work if they would learn to do without." As for the working moms.... they wallow in huge amounts of guilt for not being able to "keep their homes in order" and missing activities of their children. They are so busy they don't make time for friends and taking care of themselves. They deal with guilt and ask themselves what to "do without" to be at home. Women allow the enemy to divide us by picking on one another. Women can be so caddy and relentless! I did have some very supportive friends who prayed me thru going back to work and I appreciate them very much (Julie and Suzanne your the best). There is my tangent and opinion. I hope you aren't offended. Remember it is just an opinion, before you lash out at me think about the things you have heard women say about one another!

As for me: I now have a new book to read. I want to read "The five red herrings". And I want to continue to share my trouble to half it!

1 comment:

sweettea said...

:o) I miss you. We HAVE to get together before Christmas!