Sunday, December 13, 2009

Elisabeth's Mémoire

Title: At My Maw Maw’s Funeral
First off, you probably think I’m crazy saying a name like Maw Maw, but that’s what I called my grandma. I woke up not knowing what was going to happen in this day, but knowing it was going to be sad. I got dressed in my short black dress and my red high heels. That was what my Paw Paw had requested for his funeral so we also wore them for my Maw Maw’s funeral. The reason they were red is because red stands for love. Once I got to the Hafer funeral home for my Grandmas Funeral, I was introduced to a bunch of old people. Seeing old people made me sob because I was missing my Grandma so much. By the time the actual funeral started, I remembered the year before, when I was at the same exact funeral home. The reason I was there the year before was because my Paw Paw died. I remembered when I was sitting next to my Maw Maw sobbing and she said, “Everything was going to be okay, he’s in a better place now.” I thought there was no way, “Everything was going to be okay”. I knew my Maw Maw was dying, I could tell by the way she slowly moved around and acted. The thing is, the last time I saw her, was at my house with my relatives, but I didn’t expect it to be the last. At my Maw Maw’s funeral I sat next to my uncle, I liked sitting next to him, but his hugs just weren’t as good as my Maw Maw’s big pillow-like hugs. Five different emotions swept through me at the same time, I was sad that this had to happen. At the same time, I was sort of angry at God for letting this happen. A few songs were played, one of them was called, “Go Rest High on that Mountain.” After the funeral I knew there would be a lot of crying from my family especially from my mom, because it was her mom that had died and the year before her dad had died too. I thought that what was happening to my mom now, would someday happen to me. This made me aware to spend every day as if it’s your last.

This was a project for Elisabeth at school. It made me realize this last year has changed all of us!

1 comment:

sweettea said...

Some good advice. It was good to hear her perspective.