Sunday, March 1, 2009

Twilight




I have read the entire series that goes along with this book. I am not going to review the series but give you an opinion. My daughter is almost 11 years old. Her friends are reading this book. As a parent I am completely appalled! It is not the material a young person should read. WHY? It glorifies the image of vampires. The vampires in this book are "good" because they are vegetarian. How? They feed on animal blood instead of human blood. I must say it was creative on the authors part. There is one scene in the book that a bad vampire wants to kill Bella and drink her blood. That is a scary scene and does depict vampires in their stereotype. Anyway I got sidetracked... how does it glorify? It glorifies because they live forever and do not age. Bella and her beloved Edward will live together forever IF Bella is changed into a vampire. The series centers around Bella becoming a vampire. Who wouldn't want that (to age and never die)? I would love to think I could live without aging and never face death. After the last year I have started to wonder about the circle of life anyway. After watching my dad die I wonder about alternatives. There are none.... unless I become a vampire! Okay for those of you who know me that sentence doesn't concern you, because you know I am not in the least bit serious. But a young person reading the book could be. A young person searching. We live in a society that is searching but not looking for God. We also live in a society that allows children to raise themselves and do whatever they want without boundaries! In the front of the book the author even has a scripture. That was my daughters argument for reading the book... How bad can it be mom it has scripture in it?

Just my opinion!

1 comment:

sweettea said...

satan uses Scripture all the time! he did it with Eve; he did it with JESUS. Why wouldn't he use it with us? Personally, I don't know why people would want to live forever here. I'm more than ready to go on to Heaven. Now that's where you want to live forever! So we do live forever, just not here. :o)

Love ya,
J