Sunday, November 23, 2008

Our tongue and mischievous mouth





James 1:26 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society


26If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless.

Proverbs 12:18 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society


18 Reckless words pierce like a sword,
but the tongue of the wise brings healing.


Okay, here we go. One of my all time weaknesses is controlling my tongue. I didn't realize until tonight that my religion (salvation) is worthless if I can NOT control my mouth! This is really scary to me. I pray the Holy Spirit will keep his hand securely placed over my lips! Words can shoot out of my mouth without a single thought about what is shooting out! Not to everyone, but to the ones I love the most (my family)! How does that happen? Lack of self-control.... that is one of the fruits of the spirit!

So, as I was coming to this realization God showed me something else. The kids were talking about the tongue today. The tongue taste four different flavors. Sweet, salty, sour, and bitter. Look at the diagram above and take note of the location of each flavor area. Sweet is on the end. Close to our lips. Our words should be sweet. They should bring healing, not pierce like a sword. Now look at bitter. It is on the back, close to the throat. If we swallow bitterness it will root in our hearts and our beings. If we let that bitter root grow we will never live in victory. The victory granted to us by Jesus and his death on the cross!

I am only human, but will not use that as an excuse. I must be "salt and light" to those around me. Controlling my tongue and mouth is just one of those ways.


On a lighter note.... if bitter and sour were on the end instead of sweet and salty I would weigh a lot less because I would eat less sweet and salty foods! How many of you eat a sweet and then need a salty or vise versa?

I pray your week is filled with words that are sweet and bring healing and I pray the Holy Spirit firmly plants his hand over my lips!

Blessings to you and yours. Find something to be thankful for this Thanksgiving!


Ken, did you get my e-mail with the German Chocolate Cake recipe? I wasn't sure I had your e-mail address correct. If not let Sonderella know and I will forward it thru her.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

good post with an easy way to remember the importance of sweet words and not swallowing bitterness. I was just reading that scripture yesterday about controlling our tongues, that unruly beast.

Ken said...

Yes - I got it and I will try to make it as best I can - but I might need you to come to NC and really make it. I heard about cooks that give recipes away and leave out a step or ingredient. (teasing) I will let you know how it comes out!

Thank you for thinking about me and remembering!

My mouth is watering already!

sweettea said...

Neato mosquito! Let's plan our yearly get together. When can you and the fam come over in early December?

J