Sunday, April 13, 2008

Fear



Fear according to dictionary.com is a distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined; the feeling or condition of being afraid.

My Dad has not slept for two nights. He has been up making and drinking coffee. He has been restless. He fell last night while he was up wondering around the house having coffee. He has been craving coffee. I am like my dad in that aspect. I love coffee. I drink it just like my dad drinks his....black with no sugar or cream.

Dad was so restless today my mom called Hospice. The nurse called back and ended up coming out for a visit. She thinks my dad is afraid to sleep. Afraid he will not wake up. As I read the definition of fear it fits what my dad is feeling right now. Meeting Jesus has been something my dad has been looking forward to but FEAR of the journey makes sense. In the definition "real or imagined" stands out. How many times do we imagine something is lurking around the corner? Well, my dad's Fear is not imagined it is very real. The nurse said we are too early for him to "not wake up" but the fear of it is real. They have increased his pain medication to every 2 hours and he is also taking a nerve medication to quiet his fear. Fear can be a positive thing...fight or flight. Fear can protect us because we sense danger and we run away from the perceived danger. Sometimes Fear can be a negative thing....

False
Evidence
Appearing
Real

Sometimes the perceived danger is False.

What does God's word say about Fear and Death. I instantly think about Psalms 23:4

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff they comfort me.

WOW!!! Those words really mean something right now for me and my family. I pray my dad will be comforted by these words. My Dad is getting ready to journey through the valley of the shadow of death and I pray he will be comforted (irritating word!).

In verse 6 of that chapter it says, " I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever." I am so excited to know my dad will dwell in the house of the Lord forever! The peace those words will eventually bring is a wonderful concept. Notice the eventually! It is hard to let him go! I know in my head that he will be at rest and peace, but my heart hasn't caught up yet. I understand my dad's fear. I pray God brings the comfort he needs. I know the angels haven't shown up to usher my dad to heaven, maybe they will bring the comfort he needs.

Tonight my daughter held me and cried with me. That was my blessing today! She is growing into a very mature young lady. I pray our relationship is always strong! She is so sweet.

No comments: