Saturday, May 24, 2008

Apathetic

Let's start with the definition....courtesy of dictionary.com

-Feeling or showing a lack of interest or concern; indifferent.
-Feeling or showing little or no emotion; unresponsive.

If you are one of my students....please know I am human.

I received my course evaluations this week for clinic....now I am dreading receiving my lecture course evaluations! I expected them to be less than positive. I even told the department head they would be in March when I missed a day of work to help my dad get ready to go back to WV. Boy was I right!

My clinic faculty evaluation was very positive!

But.....

My coordinator evaluation was not terrible, but the comments were harsh. I would have thought the students would have been able to see how much I had going on personally and have been compassionate. But they were apathetic to the fact my father was gravely ill and ultimately died! I was written up for being apathetic toward the problems in clinic. I am not sure that was a fair assessment of my attitude. I can understand a little I suppose because when my dad was dying the fact that they can't find a patient really doesn't seem as tragic! I wonder if they could lose the self-centeredness long enough to see the difference in the two situations? Obviously not since the comment was made. Now let me say it wasn't all of the students just a few.

Another comment was about my wanting them to like me personally. Let me say it is our HUMAN nature to want to be liked, but in no way did I try to be their friend. I did not go to lunch with them or call them on the phone. I might have asked them if they had a nice weekend or break, but I would think they would have liked me to be kind. If I had not been personable I would have been written up for not caring even more!

I was also written up because the other faculty do not know the clinic manual or protocol. That I need to make the other faculty be as fair as I am....HOW?????? I can not MAKE the other faculty do anything! I am not their boss! This is one of my frustrations with being the coordinator. The students expect me to control other people and I can't! Sometimes I have as many as 32 other people to "control"! IMPOSSIBLE!

Now don't get me wrong I like my job, but society has raised a group of individuals who think the world revolve around them and every year the students coming in are more and more harsh and self-centered. I have found if I don't do everything they suggest I am unapproachable! What happened to training a professional? I am not conceited but I do have a lot of knowledge....I have worked in the field of dentistry for 22 years! Doesn't that mean anything?

Just venting! :o)

Next week I will go back to work with a smile and cater to the students needs just to be written up again for being apathetic!

1 comment:

sweettea said...

You know me - I think I need a little help understanding this one... they think you're not nice enough to them but they want the other staff to be as nice as you are????