Saturday, May 3, 2008

Fight or Flight



As I do some evaluation of myself; I find I suffer from the "fight or flight" syndrome. If I feel threatened I react in the classic fight or flight way.

I have found several scriptures against this "normal" reaction.

Proverbs 13:3

He who guards his lips guards his life, but he who speaks rashly will come to ruin.

How many times have I not guarded my lips? How many times have I brought ruin to myself?

Proverbs 15:1

A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger?

Me again! How many times have I snapped and caused more trouble?

Proverbs 15:8

A hot-tempered man stirs up dissension, but a patient man calms a quarrel.

Ouch! That "fight or flight" reaction is getting me into all kinds of trouble!

I know the "fruits of the spirit" are the way to over come my imperfections.

Galatians 5:22-23

But the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

I am not foolish enough to think I will ever be perfect. I just want to be like Christ.

Philippians 2:5

Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus.

Dear Lord,

Forgive me for my failures and help me to be more like you. Help me to meditate on your word and count my blessings!

Amen