Monday, December 29, 2008

2008 has kicked my teeth out!


We saw Larry on Saturday, Dec 20 and Sunday the 21st. He was doing well the the Ballon Pump. It is called a Intra-aortic Ballon Pump. He had to lay flat on his back until his surgery on Monday. He had the LVAD put in (aka Left Ventricular Assist Device). This procedure is a "bridge to transplant". He was in surgery for about 12 hours. The doctor spoke to us. He was very honest about the situation with Larry. He would not have lived for two more weeks without the surgery. His chest was left open.... I can't imagine. He was having bleeding and the doctor needed to watch the right side of the heart to make sure it continued to function. He had surgery again on Wednesday, Christmas Eve, to close his chest. He remained under anesthesia until Friday. On Saturday morning all sedation was removed around 9 O'Clock. He is still sleeping. It is Monday, December 29th and he is still sleeping. I am a worried. I saw him yesterday. I pray he wakes soon. He can't be placed on the transplant list until he recovers from this surgery.

The year 2008 did not turn out the way I expected it to last New Year's Eve! I would not have imagined it would have held so much pain, grief and suffering. I am normally a very positive person. However, this year has "knocked" it right out of me. I do not deal with depression so I truly feel for those in my family that does deal with depression. I do not know how they have survived this year. For those of you who have followed my blog you know the sorrows we have seen. For those of you who are new... a few of them.... the biggies.... my dad's illness and death, Sophia's injury, and now Larry... my Father in Law. Okay, enough of the "pity tree". The positive..... Larry is able to have this kind of care. It seems strange that so much can be done to save his life. He is a Veteran so he is getting his care through the VA hospital in Richmond. I am thankful for his care!

Looking forward... I would love to tell you I expect 2009 to be a better year.... but alas I do not. We have a long road ahead with Larry. I pray he gets his heart transplant soon. As my dad has said for years.... " I've seen it go like this for days and then get worse."

I will try to be more positive from this post forward... no matter how badly I feel. I feel as though life has "kicked me in the teeth".


My dad also said.... "count your blessings instead of your sorrows". I pray I can do better at that in 2009.

1 comment:

Ken said...

Kicked in the teeth - there are a lot of ways to say that and yours is as good or better that most others.

I do know how you feel and since we are not really home yet we will feel that there is so much missing. And there are events that just stink and I do not like them. Nothing anyone can say will make it better - but my hope is that we have a Savior that went through worst - here on earth and hell - for us, you and me. And he sympathizes with us and is right now praying for us - so is the Holy Spirit. I needed to remind myself of that today!

Don;t try to be positive - that will cheapen your feelings when you are positive. Just be honest and look beyond as much as possible!