Saturday, December 13, 2008

What are your Christmas Traditions?



Above is our Christmas tree. One of the things we do is lay down on the floor and look up the middle of the tree. It is always so pretty to see it from that point of view..... I should have taken a picture of that. Oh well, maybe later. Try it. It is so much prettier if your tree is real and not artificial.

Another one of our traditions is that we only give three gifts to each child. Why? Well, there were three wise men and they each brought one gift. I know technically Jesus received lots of gifts, however we don't want over indulged children. Besides, who can really enjoy playing with more than three toys in any one given day. I have watched the children choose gifts for their list carefully. When Aunt Non (Sonderella) asked for a list she got one thing for each of them listed.... sorry Aunt Non! I know that doesn't make it easy... but they know they get one gift from you so they asked carefully! Ha ha ha! We have done the three gift rule for seven or eight years. It seems to be working.




The other thing we do is place a manger under the tree. Did you notice it in the first picture? Our manger is not beautiful. I have looked for a new one each year, but we have used this one for seven or eight years and now it has become sentimental to me. Why empty? Well my husband grew up and did not celebrate Santa. I did in my family and it was great fun. I spoke to one of my really good friends when we were having the "discussion" about having a Santa or not. And she shared some things with me that spoke to me, so I reluctantly agreed. Eleven years ago.... the Christmas I was pregnant for Elisabeth we had this discussion. His family had changed all of their traditions.... his dad threw out all the Christmas decorations and started celebrating Hanukkah .... no they are not Jewish! I told Joel we were going to have very confused children...... Jewish holidays with one set of grandparents and Santa with the other and something completely different at our house. Well, we decided they were going to be well rounded instead. We read a book "Santa are you for Real" which focuses on the real St. Nick and his reasons for giving gifts. The kids have never looked at another kid and ruined it for them... at least not when I can hear. We told them Hanukkah was the way Jesus celebrated the holidays when he was a boy before his birthday was the holiday christians celebrated. Now for the manger.... on Christmas morning.... baby Jesus is in the manger that has been empty, waiting for him. The kids would look for "baby Jesus" before they looked for their gifts! By the way, baby Jesus in not a doll that we play with..... he stays with our Christmas decorations. We feel like this has helped to bring the focus back to Jesus the reason for the season. I don't know if this will be a tradition my kids continue when they are grown, but I know that little clementine box that has been our manger for so many years will continue to sit under my tree. Please know.... our traditions are ours.... we did not take any of his families traditions or mine.... it was a compromise on both parts. I am pleased, but at the time.... I was unsure.

2 comments:

sweettea said...

You know one of our traditions ;o). We also put up a Jesse Tree (I believe that's the name). It's where all the ornaments represent JESUS. We bought the girls a tree this year to put all their Hallmark ornaments on as Poodah has gone crazy with the ornaments.

On C Eve we open one present and light a candle for Micah. Wish we could spend it with you.

Lynn Cross said...

It seems our traditions always change from year to year. What does that tell you about us? One thing we always do, it on Christmas eve we gather, turn out all the lights, the kids get a candle, we all read the Christmas Story from Luke 2, and then we sing. My family of origin began this and we have carried it on. The older I get the more the traditions mean to me. Love and Merry Christmas, Lynn