Thursday, December 18, 2008

Changes are bittersweet for us




I thought the pig in the above picture was so cute. I took this picture at the state fair. It reminded me of my sisters.

This morning I walked Biz to the bus. As I was walking back to the house, I realized how many changes we have gone through this year. I know....I know.... I am not supposed to reflect on the year 2008 until after Christmas! I just couldn't help it. We have had bitter and sweet! As you have followed this blog through the year you already know that!

Some of the changes you may not have known are.... no more YMCA before and after school care.... no more track out care... we are a traditional year now... the kids ride the bus... they never did that before.... living in our new house... so close to everything.... 1 mile from Joel's office.... even closer to the kids school.... a mile and half closer to my job.... making payments on two houses and not going into crisis.... instead of visitors saying "this is the smallest house ever" ( yes someone actually said that about our old house) they are saying things like "boy you really moved up" and "wow" (yes they really say those things too).... we just crack up! God is so faithful and people are so funny!

I spent the day with Khi.... he has been sick. I think he is officially better. He will go back to school tomorrow. He has missed most of the week. It was a nice day. I even made a few treats. I made my "homemade" sugar cookie dough. It has to be refrigerated for at least 8 hours. I will make cookies with the kids soon.

The changes have been bitter sweet.... I wonder what Daddy would think about our new house? Joel's Dad is not well now. He is in the hospital being tested for a heart transplant. We are praying for him. The transplant could be a year off once he is approved. We pray he is approved and his heart holds out until he gets the new one. We will go see him in Richmond on Sunday. We will deliver a new robe and slippers. Necessary items for a hospital visit that could last 6 weeks. If he gets the "mechanical pump" put in he will be in the hospital 6 weeks. If this happens he will go to high priority. We will continue to pray for God's mercy. Thinking about a possible transplant is bittersweet. Someone else has to lose their life to save Larry. Bittersweet! Selfishly we are not ready to lose the only Dad and Granddad we have left!

Sophia is doing well. The family hasn't been restored yet, but a new lawyer has been appointed. The next hearing isn't until sometime in March. That is a long time off, but God is faithful. The new lawyer really is working to restore things. The last lawyer was running for public office and very distracted, so the change is good. We are blessed she has done so well and hasn't lost any toes. All the action at Mom's house is good.... it distracts Mom.

WE ARE BLESSED! Truly blessed.

I think often about my Dad's death. It is the normal life cycle. A little more than two years ago a young boy the age of Biz died unexpectedly. His death has forever impacted us. As the kids have been sick the last week each of them asked if the other was going to die. He was almost 9... I think a few hours short of his birthday. His visitation and funeral was the first experience my kids had with death. It helped us when Daddy died because they knew what to expect, but as I said... it impacts them through fear when illness hits. I can't imagine his mother and father's pain. It has to be so much harder to face the death of their only son than the death of my father. I still pray for this family. I pray often for them. I pray I never forget them when I pray! I admire them. They have appeared to be strong! Stronger than I think I could be.

We are Blessed! Blessed beyond what we deserve!

1 comment:

sweettea said...

That's a long time to be on the list. Is it because people don't donate when their loved ones die?